Gardening Calendar - October
Autumn "Natures natural time to garden"
With the nights drawing in and the cooler nights (with the possibility of a frost) we start to see the wonderful Autumn colours in the garden. Berried plants are at the best and the foliage of Maples, Spindle bushes and many more start to give thier wonderful displays. There are many garden to visit with Westonbirt Arboretum being one of the best for Autumn colour.
But you also need to be busy working in the garden, with lots of jobs to complete this month.
- General tidying up jobs have to be done, rake up leaves and put on the compost heap, clean out the greenhouse wash it down to avoid diseases on future crops.
- There are plenty of seeds which can be sown this month. Sweet Peas in pots, Wildflower seeds can be sown directly in situ for flowering next year, Sow Autumn lettuce outside. Green manures can greatly enhance soil fertility, October is a great month to sow green manures.
- Plant Autumn onion sets, plant Rhubarb and Asparagus crown, plant out cabbage plants.
- Its a great month for creating a new lawn from turf, but is getting quite late to sow grass seed.
- The first frost will take off the tops of Dahlias and Begonias these can be lifted and stored in a frost free shed of greenhouse ready for next year.
- Although it is getting colder the soil can still be warm and it is therefore a great time to plant out new hardy perennials and evergreen shrubs.
* Subject to terms and conditions